For every election, the City Clerk must make available Absentee Ballots. To qualify for an Absentee Ballot, you must be a registered voter and complete an absentee ballot application. Please note that you must vote in person the first time you vote in Michigan, this requirement can also be fulfilled by hand-delivering your absentee application or voter registration to your local or county clerk, or if you had registered to vote in person at a Secretary of State's Office.
Applying for an Absentee Ballot
- You may apply up to 65 days in advance of the election.
- Applications must be received by 2:00 pm on the Saturday before the election.
- Absentee Ballots can be issued on the day prior to the election until 4:00 pm, but the elector must request the ballot in person at City Hall on that day, and cannot leave the building with the ballot.
- Please visit the following link to the Secretary of State website to download an absentee ballot application: SOS - Absentee Voting
- If you are registered to vote in the City of Rochester, you may mail your absentee ballot application to 400 6th Street, Rochester, MI 48307 to the attention of "Elections", drop off the application in person, or place it in the City drop box located on the west side of the building. We can also accept applications by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, so long as your information and signature are clearly visible in the attachment.
Permanent Absent Voter List
- The City maintains a list of voters who wish to automatically be mailed an absentee voter application for each election.
- An absentee voter application must be returned to the City Clerk to confirm that you wish to receive an absentee ballot, whether or not you are on the permanent absent voter list.
- If you are interested on being added to the mailing list for absentee voter applications, please submit a written request to email@example.com or to the City Clerk, 400 6th Street, Rochester, MI 48307.